This article is for those of you who do not want to install a whole new operating system only to discover some technical details about the default installation like disk layout, packages included, software versions, and so on. Here we are going to review in several sections what is like to have a default installation of CentOS Stream 9 using a real not virtual machine!
Here are some useful URLs:
- Main information page of the CentOS Stream 9 – https://centos.org/stream9/
- CentOS Stream 9 download page with different links for different architectures such as – https://www.centos.org/centos-stream/#tab-3
- Main directory tree of CentOS Stream 9 software with directories for ISOs, repository packages and more – http://mirror.stream.centos.org/9-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/iso/
How to install CentOS Stream 9 – Network installation of CentOS Stream 9 (20220606.0) – minimal server installation
The kernel is 5.14.0 it detects successfully the Threadripper 1950X AMD and the system is stable (we booted in UEFI mode).
The installation procedure uses default options for all installation setups – Network installation of CentOS Stream 9 (20220606.0) – minimal server installation
With CentOS Stream 9 (20220606.0) you could have
- linux kernel – 5.14.0 (5.14.0-109.el9.x86_64)
- linux-firmware – version: 20220509, release: 20220509-126.el9.
- libc – 2.34 (2.34-32.el9)
- systemd – 250-7 (250-7.el9)
- GNU GCC – 11.3.1 (gcc-11.3.1-2.el9)
- OpenSSL – 3.0.1 (3.0.1-33.el9) and 1.1.1k (compat-openssl11-1.1.1k-4.el9)
- coreutils – 8.32 (8.32-31.el9)
- yum – deprecated and replaced with dnf
- dnf – 4.12.0 (4.12.0-2.el9)
- rsyslog – 8.2102.0 (8.2102.0-105.el9)
- NetworkManager – 1.39.6 (1:1.39.6-1.el9)
- Apache – 2.4.53 (2.4.53-2.el9)
- Nginx – 1.20.1 (1.20.1-10.el9)
- MySQL server – 8.0.28 (8.0.28-1.el9)
- MariaDB server – 10.5.13 (10.5.13-2.el9)
- PostgreSQL – 13.7 (13.7-1.el9)
- PHP – 8.0.13 (8.0.13-1.el9)
- python – 3.9.10 (3.9.10-2.el9)
- perl – 5.32.1 (5.32.1-479.el9)
- ruby – 3.0.3 (3.0.3-159.el9)
- OpenJDK – 22.214.171.124.7 (126.96.36.199.7-1.el9), 188.8.131.52.10 (184.108.40.206.10-1.el9) and 220.127.116.112.b09 (18.104.22.1682.b09-1.el9)
- Go – 1.17.5 (1.17.5-1.el9)
- Rust – 1.61.0 (1.61.0-1.el9)
- llvm – 14.0.0 (14.0.0-2.el9)
- Subversion – 1.14.1 (1.14.1-5.el9)
- Git – 2.31.1 (2.31.1-2.el9.2)
Note: Not all of the above software comes installed by default. The versions above are valid as of June 2022, these are the minimal versions you get with CentOS Stream 9 (20220606.0) now and updating it after the initial date may update some of the above packages with newer versions.
Installed packages are 376 occupying 1.6G space:. Note, this is CentOS Stream 9 Minimal Install, not server or server with GUI.
[root@srv ~]# dnf list installed|wc -l 377 [root@srv ~]# df -h / Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/cs_srv-root 70G 1.6G 69G 3% /