Minimal net install is useful when a dedicated server is installed from a IPMI KVM or Dell iDRAC, HP iLO, IBM IMM or where the initial client side download of files need to be minimal.
CentOS Stream 9 is receives the updates before Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and there is no versioning except the major release, which is 9. So the CentOS Stream 9 receives the updates for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 9. On monthly or less basis CentOS community releases a stable ISO with a temporary time version like this one CentOS Stream 9 (20220606.0).
Continuously delivered distro that tracks just ahead of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) development
Here are some useful URLs:
- Main information page of the CentOS Stream 9 – https://centos.org/stream9/
- CentOS Stream 9 download page with different links for different architectures such as – https://www.centos.org/centos-stream/#tab-3
- Main directory tree of CentOS Stream 9 software with directories for ISOs, repository packages and more – http://mirror.stream.centos.org/9-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/iso/
- Links to AMD64 CentOS Stream 9 ISOs – http://mirror.stream.centos.org/9-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/iso/
- There are two type of ISOs, first is the small one under 1G – 814 Mbytes – http://mirror.stream.centos.org/9-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/iso/CentOS-Stream-9-latest-x86_64-boot.iso. The second type used for offline installs (8.1 Gbytes) – http://mirror.stream.centos.org/9-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/iso/CentOS-Stream-9-latest-x86_64-dvd1.iso
For amd64 the net of CentOS Stream 9 install bootable media is located here (now the current latest release is 20220606.0, but you may check the last release.
Note there is no minimal CD for offline installation. Boot CD is to just boot and make “network installation” installation and there is a big fat DVD of 8.1 Gbytes to install offline.
Software details of CentOS Stream 9 minimal install could be found here – coming soon. Technical details of a default CentOS Stream 9 (20220606.0) minimal installation
There is a previous major release installation article – How to do a network installation of CentOS 8 (8.0.1950) – minimal server installation
Download it and put it on a CD or USB, the boot from it and follow the steps bellow: