This article is for those of you who do not want to install a whole new operating system only to discover some technical details about the default installation like disk layout, packages included, software versions, and so on. Here we are going to review in several sections what is like to have a default installation of Fedora 36 Server using a real not virtual machine!
The kernel is 5.17.9 it detects successfully the Threadripper 1950X AMD and the system is stable (we booted in UEFI mode).
The installation procedure uses default options for all installation setups – Minimal network installation of Fedora 36 Server
With Fedora Server 36 you can have
- linux kernel – 5.17.9 (5.17.9-300.fc36.x86_64)
- linux-firmware – version: 20220509, release: 20220509-132.fc36.
- libc – 2.35 (2.35-9.fc36)
- GNU GCC – 12.1.1 (12.1.1-1.fc36)
- OpenSSL – 3.0.2 (1:3.0.2-5.fc36) and 1.1.1n (1:1.1.1n-1.fc36)
- coreutils – 9.0 (9.0-5.fc36)
- yum – Depricated and replaced with dnf
- dnf – 4.12.0 (4.12.0-1.fc36)
- rsyslog – 8.2204.0 (8.2204.0-1.fc36)
- NetworkManager – 1.38.0 (1:1.38.0-1.fc36)
- Apache – 2.4.53 (2.4.53-1.fc36)
- Nginx – 1.20.2 (1:1.20.2-2.fc36)
- MySQL server – 8.0.28 (8.0.28-1.fc36)
- MariaDB server – 10.5.15 (3:10.5.15-1.fc36)
- PostgreSQL – 14.1 (14.1-3.fc36)
- PHP – 8.1.6 (8.1.6-1.fc36)
- python – 3.10.4 (3.10.4-1.fc36) and also includes the older 2.7.18 (2.7.18-21.fc36)
- perl – 5.34.1 (4:5.34.1-486.fc36)
- ruby – 3.1.2 (3.1.2-164.fc36)
- OpenJDK – the latest 18 – 126.96.36.199.10 (1:188.8.131.52.10-1.rolling.fc36) and also includes 184.108.40.206.7 (1:220.127.116.11.7-1.fc36), 18.104.22.168.10 (1:22.214.171.124.10-1.fc36) and 8.0.332.b09 (1:126.96.36.1992.b09-1.fc36)
- Go – 1.18.2 (1.18.2-1.fc36)
- Rust – 1.60.0 (1.60.0-1.fc36)
- llvm – the latest 14.0.0 (14.0.0-1.fc36) and the old 7.0.1 (7.0.1-7.fc36.4), 8.0.1 (8.0.1-2.fc36), 9.0.1 (9.0.1-15.fc35), 10.0.0 (10.0.0-13.fc35), 11.1.0 (11.1.0-6.fc35), 12.0.1 (12.0.1-2.fc35) and 13.0.1 (13.0.1-1.fc36)
- Subversion – 1.14.1 (1.14.1-11.fc36)
- Git – 2.36.1 (2.36.1-1.fc36)
Note: Not all of the above software comes installed by default. The versions above are valid as of May 2022, these are the minimal versions you get with Fedora Server 36 now and updating it after the initial date may update some of the above packages with newer versions.
Installed packages are 672 occupying 1.8G space:. Note, this is Fedora Server Install, not minimal install. The server install includes the web console – cockpit version 254.
[root@srv ~]# dnf list installed|wc -l 672 [root@srv ~]# df -h / Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/fedora_fedora-root 15G 1.8G 14G 12% /