For example, with Conda the user could create python environment with the exact versions he needs! And it could be used under any Linux distribution or even Windows.
This article is to show how to install the command-line version of the Conda, which is part of the bigger platform Anaconda. The command-line version is distributed with the name Miniconda. In fact, Miniconda is a free installer for Conda, which includes only the basic set to run conda and conda install to install more than 8000 packages from the Anaconda repositories.
The Anaconda repositories could be found here: https://anaconda.org/anaconda/repo
Advantages of Miniconda:
- Minimal installation. 400 Mbytes, not 3G for the Anaconda platform.
- simple command-line interface. Couple of simple commands and their instructions are enough to bring up a complex environment for scientific or development purposes.
- The creating of a specific environment could be automated.
- No strange or not friendly GUI.
- Easy installation under most of the Linux distribution and Windows.
- The whole installation could occur only under a user’s home directory. No files require to be installed by the administrator or under global administrative path.